Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Letter to Senator Warner's Military Aide

Mr. Sam Zega

Hello Sam,

I have been traveling and thinking every day about writing to thank you for the conversation we had on April 28, 2008 about the continuing involvement of the U.S. in Iraq.

Your time is valuable, and I appreciate your willingness to listen to a constituent of Sen. Warner's.

It was my understanding from our conversation that Senator Warner is afraid of a collapse of the Iraqi government if the U.S. withdraws quickly. You said the "possibility" of collapse exists. Has Senator Warner considered other possibilities, other than "collapse"? Since so many Iraqis want us to leave, and I believe a nation should be able to run its own government independent of U.S. dictates, what are other possibilities? Could one be that Iraq is strengthened by our withdrawal and a "possible" source of friction is removed? I would like to know what other "possibilities", if any, have been explored, rather than just adopting the Bush agenda of "collapse" and a ceaseless war.

While you and I talked that day, the Washington Post listed the names of 16 soldiers who died in Iraq as a result of our presence. The next day on the front page above the fold was a memorable picture of two Iraqis carrying a badly injured two-year-old from a bombing in Sadr City. The boy died as a result of American shelling in Sadr City.

Consider if the location were Oklahoma City. Foreign soldiers camped nearby and shelled neighborhoods from which suspected terrorists resided. Does this make a difference?

I was struck by the similarity of the photo of the injured Iraqi child to the burned child carried by a fireman from the Oklahoma City bombing of 1995. I am sure you remember the photo: Who can ever forget it?

I do not have the power and influence of John Warner. I wish I did! I do not understand why Senator Warner does not use his power to end the tragedy of our involvment. How much time must we give the Iraqi government to stand up for itself? How long is "too long"? Like the simple analogy I mentioned to you on the telephone, what entity is going to say "no" to an unlimited check?

There are many who believe we continue our presence in Iraq because of lucrative Iraq War contracts held by private firms in the U.S. Is this possible?

(If I misconstrued any of your statements, I hope you will correct them. I am going to post my letter to you on my blog.)

Sincerely,
Patricia

No comments: