Tuesday, January 27, 2009

60% of Our Soldiers' Deaths in Iraq: Noncombat-Related Causes

Sixty percent of the deaths of our soldiers in Iraq listed in the Washington Post today were due to “non-combat” related causes.

What are the causes?

When last I wrote about this November 14 2008, I also emailed Sen. James Webb who responded on December 16:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding non-combat related deaths.

In order that I might provide you with a detailed response to your inquiry, I forwarded your message to Department of Defense. You should receive a response directly from that office.

I appreciate your letter and thoughts on this matter. Your correspondence helps me serve you better in the U.S. Senate. Please let me know if the response you receive does not resolve your concern or you need further assistance
.

No reply from DOD!

I shall write to Sen. Webb again and hope he is able to push the Pentagon to supply answers. Why isn’t anyone else asking?

The names of soldiers who died in Iraq are listed today on p. A13 below a story on the crashes of two U.S. helicopters which killed four American soldiers. “Nonhostile” causes are believed the reason for the crashes.

The names of our dead soldiers listed today are:

Sgt. Marquis Porter, 28, Brighton, MA (noncombat-related death)
Ricky Turner, 20, Athens, AL
Omar McKnight, 22, Marrero, LA (noncombat-related but shot according to his father quoting the military)
Roberto Andrade, Jr., 26, Chicago
Kyle Harrington, 24, Swansea, MA (noncombat-related but a forklift accident)

Please remember the supreme sacrifices our troops and their families made and make for us: 4,236 fatalities; 30,984 wounded.

No comments: