Monday, October 27, 2008

"It's Over," He Said

"I told my staff last week it's done.

"For the first time in my life I voted for a Democrat today (Saturday). I voted for Barack Obama."

We struck up a conversation in a Tysons Corner store, and while I nodded to his words trying to keep a lid on my mouth so not to interrupt him, mentally I sprang to the ceiling and screamed, leaping from one light fixture to another before I floated down to the floor, trying to confine exuberance and enthusiasm.

He was 60 years old, more or less, and out shopping with his mother and wife.

"We didn't need that tax break," he said. "I know I didn't need it. No, I am not discouraged, I am totally livid" he exclaimed, before launching into emphatic criticism about the damage to the Republican party by members of the Republican party.

He leaned over and almost whispered: "You know his grandmother took him out of Indonesia and put him in Hawaiian schools. You know most of the people in Indonesia are Muslim, don't you?" Hhmmmnnn, I hmmmnnnnned.

But you know what? Colin Powell said "so what" if folks are Muslim! Who cares? And if it was so much of a big deal, why'd you go off and vote for him, tell me that! I mused to myself, trying to keep volatility behind closed doors. I had already been attacked at Tysons Corner once for critiquing Ms. Sarah Palin in a song to her by her children, and I didn't want to have another brawl right here in the middle of Tysons Corner.

Meanwhile, up in Long Island, two Republican sisters of a Northern Virginia friend of mine (who is canvassing for Barack Obama right now, and my friend was a Hillary supporter) are voting for the first time in their lives for, that's right, sistah, Mr. Barack Obama!

Happy days are almost here again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey that's good story..