Saturday, February 14, 2009

Chevy Chase Bank Card Customers at Risk

What? Is this happening so frequently now that there is not even a press announcement warning customers their cards may be vulnerable? Or maybe there was and I missed it. But when?

I just opened a letter from Chevy Chase:

Recently, Visa, U.S.A. notified [us]...that an unauthorized party accessed a large national payment processor of credit and debit card transactions, Heartland Payment Systems. Unfortunately, your...card number may have been...compromised...[which]means that an unauthorized party may [underlined] have access to your Card information...[but it] does not [underlined] mean than [the]...party actually has used your Card number.


Gee, thanks, Chevy Chase Bank whose envelope looked like so much junk mail I nearly tossed it without opening it. The stamp: Presorted First Class. How many thousands were compromised and shouldn't there be some kind of public warning issued?

No warnings or alerts on Chevy Chase's web site. No warnings or alerts at Visa, U.S.A. Wait a minute, down in the lower corner of Heartland's site is a sentence about "security breach" which, if you click on it, takes you to information saying the breach occurred January 20, 2009, and yet, and yet, it took Chevy Chase Bank three weeks to notify its own customers and who knew Chevy Chase Bank had any relationship with Heartland which I've never heard of, have you?

Yep, this is a fine example of NON customer service at Chevy Chase Bank, another reason not to do banking there. I spoke with a teller and manager at a nearby branch last Saturday, February 7,2009, and did either mention this compromise on my account? You guess.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I got the same notice and guess what my card number was used fraudulently. And of course Chevy Chase bank said it can take up to 10 days to fix it. yeah that's right some crook steals money from my checking and its Chevy chases fault and I can't get my money back for 10 days. What am I supposed to do in the mean? I can't wait to close my account and go elsewhere

Patricia Leslie said...

Sorry Darrylovia that it happened to you. As far as I know my acct. had not been accessed...as far as I know.

Shortly after I posted the original description I went into the CC branch at Nat'l Airport and inquired about the matter. The teller didn't know what I was talking about. A mgr. came over and said, "Oh yes..." After discussion she said it happened a YEAR AGO mostly to customers of TJMaxx which I recalled reading about, but what? No notice for a year? Isn't there some kind of federal legislation to let customers know so they can be alert? There oughta be! Perhaps it would interfere too much with the bank's "bottom line."